Friday, August 7, 2015

New Zealand: week 8- July 31-August 6

Friday July 31
I had wanted to go to Waiheke Island, but then decided that maybe I'd go another day instead. So then I thought maybe I'd go somewhere else, but the time just kept slipping away and I was getting frustrated with myself for not doing something with my day off. I also wanted to go to temple, but I didn't want to go after being out all day and be smelly or just schlep into the city to only be there for a couple of hours at temple. I've really been missing Shabbat dinners and doing Jewish things and so I changed that. I decided if I wasn't going to go out for the day, that I would at least go to the grocery store and buy some stuff to make shakshuka, hummus, and challah. The shakshuka was good, but the hummus could've been creamier. The challah on the other hand was fabulous. I was so proud of myself for finally making some and that it turned out beautifully. Seriously, when I looked in the oven to see if it was ready I almost cried. I'd bought a can of grape juice and tea light candles and did the blessings over it with the family and tried to explain what I was doing. Not sure I did a very good job explaining, but I was happy with myself because it was the first time I've done blessings (in front of non-Jews) and that I got to share this with them. They loved my meal and I look forward to making it again.



Saturday August 1
Another wave of emotions crashed over me in the morning. I think I just needed a good cleansing of my spirit, so to speak. Well, pretty sure I got that all out of my system…at least for the time being. After vacuuming the house, I showered and washed the tears off my face and got myself together because I decided it was going to be a fun day. Bonnie came home and we went to the Auckland Museum. It is by far the coolest museum I've been to in recent history. So cool in fact that I might just go back again this week. There was history about the Maori culture, wars (WWI and WWII), Auckland history, natural science, etc. It was just really awesome. We went to this little Thai restaurant that we came across after trying to go to another place that was "full" and you had to have a reservation (it was less than a quarter full, but what do I know). It was called U-Thai and it was yum. We had money-bags, I had chicken satay, and she had pad see ew. I wanted bubble tea after dinner and again just found a little Asian market that sold it basically right next door. We were going to go to another place that I'd found on FourSquare, but this was great because we didn't have to make any extra stops. We came home and watched "Bridget Jones's Diary." Cute movie…surprised I haven't watched before now.


Auckland War Memorial Museum

All hand carved

Marae



Imagine being chase by one of these big birds!



Maori have a special way of cooking food underground





The moneybags...but how cool is that carrot rose??

Sunday August 2
I woke up early and told myself I was going to have a good day. Good isn't even the right word. I was meeting Ari, the guy from the café on Monday/Andy's friend, and we were going to go to Piha before I had to go to work at 15:00. Well, already that's a good plan. I'm on my way to the train station in Papakura, where I live, and I'm passing a café on the way to make a stop at the ATM when all of a sudden I hear what I'm pretty sure was Hebrew. I stop, made eye contact with the two men sitting there, start to keep walking, but turned around because I had to know for sure. "Yes, we are! Boker tov (good morning)!" and they offer the third seat at their table to me. I sit there in amazement that this was happening. It probably sounds silly, but after starting to get homesick for Israel earlier last week and missing Hebrew, etc, this is just what I needed, not to mention the fact that I was heading out to meet up with a fellow tribe member. Maybe it was a sign that it's all going to come together even more. Consider me already on cloud nine as I met Ari and we made our way to Piha. It's this really awesome area with black sand beaches and amazing views. We started out at Piha Café, had some coffee, and tasty pizza. It rained, naturally, and after sitting and chatting, the rain passed and we made our way to the shore. Wow. We spent some time there walking and talking before heading back since I had to go to work. Made it just in time too, whew! I walked in and my manager excitedly asks me if I have plans after work and proceeds to tell me that she and some other coworkers are going out after closing. So, I go with her and three other coworkers. The place we wanted to go to was closing, so we went to Denny's. Not quite the Denny's in America, but I suppose it's close enough. We had a good time out and it was nice getting to hang out outside of work. 

















Monday August 3
I had the day off and by-golly I was going to do something with it. I met with another friend of Andy's who is originally from London and moved here with his wife and started up a company that has done really well. We met for lunch, and he's super cool as well. He has two kids so I threw it out there that if he ever needed a babysitter, call me. I kind of miss babysitting…my "regulars" were the best; I loved those kids. Anyway, he so graciously dropped me off at Cornwall Park on his way to a meeting. What a cool park! It's right by this other place called One Tree Hill which is beautiful. I finally got to see some sheep, didn't get to pet one or play with a lamb as there were signs posted about leaving the livestock alone, but whatever. I walked all over the place and could've easily spent way more time there. I came across this girl and she was alone and crying. I didn't want to make her feel weird, but I also wanted to be a caring person and ask if she was okay even though she so very obviously wasn’t. I asked if she wanted to be left alone and would've gladly stuck around if she wanted the company. She wiped her eyes and told me she's fine and thanks for asking. I left and told her that I hope her day gets better. I thought about going over and giving her a hug, but I guess that would've been too much. Sometimes though we need that kindness from strangers. Where ever she is, I hope she cried it all out and is feeling better. On my way from the bus ride to the train station from One Tree Hill, we passed the temple that I've been wanting to go to so now I know where it is when I finally decide on going.























Tuesday August 4
I worked, even got to stay and cover someone else's shift at night.


Wednesday August 5
I've been doing pretty good at getting myself up and motivated for the most part, but after all those exciting days I didn't feel so bad just lounging around until work. It also helped that it was raining. Basically I spent an obscene amount of time on YouTube, but if it makes it any better the videos were science related and not of cats or people falling down.


Thursday August 6
I worked a short shift today. Didn't do too much once I got home, but we watched "Bridget Jones's Diary 2." It was adorable. Usually sequels aren't very good, but this was just as good as the first…in my opinion. Finally using my second loaf of challah to make over-night French toast. Guess you'll have to wait until next week to see how that turns out. ;)


After a slight emotional break-down mid-week last week until Saturday, I feel like I've kind of turned it around. I have a bedtime/morning ritual that I've started, also trying this whole no screen thing an hour before bedtime (once I'm up, though, I'm on it (phone) for a disgusting amount of time), and making myself get out of the house on days off has helped tremendously. I know sometimes it seems like everything is (or should be) sparkles and rainbows, but there's days when everything feels like shit. It happens, but it's our (my) decision to make it better or wallow ("waller" is how I'd say it) in it. I prefer not to be a sour puss and get on with it. Life is what you make it or, you know, whatever. :) Anyway, here's one of the videos from a new channel I just started watching (DNews) and basically this is my every day struggle. Another favorite channel of mine is VSauce, if you want to check it out, too.


1 comment:

  1. This time? Yea, this time tears came. My heart was tugged big time. Beautiful photographs Starr! They brought forth memories from the deep. XO ~M~

    ReplyDelete